Maybe Banking
It being late October, school was out for Fall break. Dad had taken a few days off work to stay home and watch the boys. Zack is twelve, and Aiden will be turning three next month. As I pull into the drive I see the kids out tossing a football back forth with Dad. They really love their grandpa. He's great with them. I'm so glad to have him close. It's been a tremendous help on me while I try and sort things out. As I stop 'Ol Green just in front of the closed garage door, that's what Zack nicknamed my vehicle. They usually become 'Ol whatever the color of our vehicle is, but the nicknames mean alot to him so we us them often. Anyway, just as I stop with my foot still pressing down on the clutch and the other on the brake, even before turning off the ignition Zack tosses a long bomb towards me from 30 feet away. A perfect spiral dead on target. I neatly reach up and catch the football. The kids go wild, hooping and hollering. I think Zack could become a great football player one day. I have to keep promising myself not to push him too hard, just because I had the talent and opportunity to do something and I ignorantly chose not to. It's not an easy thing to do, because he's really good. And smart. Well, of course, I mean we're related. As I turn off 'Ol Green, the kids are by my side ready to give me hugs. I jump out, scoop Aiden up with one arm and wrap the other around Zack and squeeze both of them into me and tell them how much I love them. And how happy and proud they make me. I look up and see Dad standing a few feet away giving me a loving smile and wink. I wink back.
We make our way inside and set down and have snack of some fresh cinnamon rolls Dad had whipped up. Now wonder the kids love this guy. We catch up on what they've done for the last day or two and then I tell them all I have an appointment at the bank today and won't be sure of what all that will entail or how long it will take, I glance over at Dad and raise my brow so that he knows it's important and there's more to the story that I can't talk about right now. He nods back silently, as I tell the boys that they will get to stay at least another night with grandpa. Oh, yeah, they're absolutely heart broken. We say our goodbyes and I look at the clock 2:58, welp, I better get to going guys. Heading out, I pat Aiden on the head, punch Zack in the arm, and tell Dad that I'd call him or swing by later. He told me to take my time, and out the door I went. As I'm backing out onto the street, the kids come running out to the end of the drive waving, yelling they love me and they'll miss me and I think if I read lips correctly, that I'm a big 'o doodie head. I chuckle and wave back as I drive off, on my way to meet Mr. Matthews. Damn, that cinnamon roll was good, just what the Hangover ordered.
We make our way inside and set down and have snack of some fresh cinnamon rolls Dad had whipped up. Now wonder the kids love this guy. We catch up on what they've done for the last day or two and then I tell them all I have an appointment at the bank today and won't be sure of what all that will entail or how long it will take, I glance over at Dad and raise my brow so that he knows it's important and there's more to the story that I can't talk about right now. He nods back silently, as I tell the boys that they will get to stay at least another night with grandpa. Oh, yeah, they're absolutely heart broken. We say our goodbyes and I look at the clock 2:58, welp, I better get to going guys. Heading out, I pat Aiden on the head, punch Zack in the arm, and tell Dad that I'd call him or swing by later. He told me to take my time, and out the door I went. As I'm backing out onto the street, the kids come running out to the end of the drive waving, yelling they love me and they'll miss me and I think if I read lips correctly, that I'm a big 'o doodie head. I chuckle and wave back as I drive off, on my way to meet Mr. Matthews. Damn, that cinnamon roll was good, just what the Hangover ordered.


4 Comments:
Cinnamon roll, and O.J of course.
oh, and you are a big o' doodie head!
Cute story, love the kids, love the Dad, love the car....
...
...
...
...
psssst, The Bank, o doodie head!
I hope you are going to do something with this story. It's great!
Post a Comment
<< Home