Maybe
It’s late at night, my guess, sometime just before midnight. I’m enjoying dozing off listening to Dave Matthews at a much lower than normal volume. I hear a sudden knock at the front door. Who the hell could that be? I’m startled. Only bad things or bad news happens when people knock on your door at this hour. I set my empty glass down, and slowly make my way to the door. I'm worried. I peek through the keyhole. I see nothing. I’m a bit hesitant now to open that damn thing. I unlock the dead bolt and twist the bottom knob opening the door towards me. I peer out into the darkness. There’s no one there. Nothing. I gulp down the beginnings of fright. I instinctively flip on the porch light. And after another deep breath, I start out the door and step onto the front porch. I quickly glance around. Nobody in sight. All the neighbors lights are out, only the tree limbs are moving and the street is eerily quiet. I shrug and go back inside taking my odd feeling with me. I shut the door and dead bolt it . As I’m making my way to the kitchen to pour one last glass of wine, I wonder if I really ever heard the knocking at the door. Maybe I’m hearing things. Maybe it was the hot water tank. Maybe it was the ice maker in the frig. Maybe someone’s playing a trick on me. Maybe I’ve stayed up to late. Maybe the Red Sox will win the World Series again this year. Maybe I need a haircut. Maybe I need to shave while I’m at it. Maybe I won’t have to go to work in the morning. Maybe I should shower. Maybe I need to exercise. Maybe I need to finish painting the bathroom. Maybe I just heard the knocking at the door again. I take two big gulps of wine, set the glass down and place both of my hands out wide on the countertop. With my head hanging down, I peer into the glass. The wine is still sloshing gently back and forth from the previous forceful chugging. I am starting to feel the warmth of the wine as it makes it's way up the backs of my arms and my neck and my ears are starting to tingle. I boldly grab a flashlight and decide to play a little trick myself. I unlock the side door that heads out to the patio and I quietly creep around to the front of the house. Once again no one is there. The front door is all alone, exept for a spider busy spinning it's web in the corner above it. I let out a disgusted grunt. Seeing that the water fountain is running low on water, I turn on the faucet. As I'm bending down to pick up the end of the hose I hear a startled rabbit scurry across the yard. My pulse quickens. Man, what is going on with me? There is no one out here. There hasn't been anyone out here. I must be crazy. Even though I strongly sense something, I see nothing. I shut the water off and cautiously make my way back around the house to the backyard from which I came. Once in the back yard, it's there that I finally see something. Something I knew I hadn't wanted to see. Something I knew was going to be bad. Damn it. I should have just stayed in the house. I still had half of a perfectly good bottle of wine left. Maybe it won't see me. Maybe I should............


6 Comments:
ACK! Don't leave me hanging here! Was it the killer rabbit from Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail?
FISH!!!!
When I left here yesterday morning I was looking at some guy's butt and now I return and find you in the middly of some horrible introspective journey, exacerbated by an unknown knock on the front door - WTF, sweetie?
We all love you -
Now tell us the end of the damn story! :)
Is it the rabbit from Donnie Darko???
p.s. what you're feeling, sweetie, is commonly referred to as a panic attack. That'll be $100 please.
dont leave me hanging... well , I should just say I know the end to this story but u shouldn't leave them hangin'
*loves Mr. Fish a Margarita*
Cheer up bear.
Here's a slap on the ass - Bre
(aka Mrs.Fisher)
And, For all you Moaties that are wondering, Mrs. Fish is still very much alive and swimming.
Oh my gosh!
Is that an anonymous posting by THE Mrs. Fisher!
This is Brian B, your husband's Cincinnati twin.
I'm going to go now and scroll up to see if he really did leave us hanging.
he is always leaving it hangin' so iam quite usted to that! Oh u mean his story!
Mrs. Fisher
Post a Comment
<< Home