Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Maybe a shiver

I shiver. I'm cold. I bite my lip. I rub my hands together to try and generate at least some small amount of heat. It's useless. This October chill is is brutal. I guess it would help if I wasn't soaking wet. I keep walking. Each step burns like hell from sharp prickling sensations of the frostbite setting in. I don't remember much after jerking the wheel hard to the right to miss colliding head on with some dumb fuck of a semidriver (who'd probably been up for weeks on end on speed and is destined to crash into some other poor unsuspecting driver) driving on my side of the road. Anyway, I saw headlights coming straight at me and I swerved out of the way only to go flying off the road and down a steep embankment right into the Reckless River (wonder where it got it's name?) I somehow managed to think fast enough to hit the auto button on the window control. While it was busy moving the window down, I was struggling to undo my seat belt. The water filled up the interior much quicker than I anticipated. Holding my breath as the car begin to sink, I unfastened the belt and climbed up and out of the cars window. Damn! This water is cold. It's freezing up my thought process. Hang on. Just keep swimming up. Hang on man! That's all I remember. Now I'm out here on a deserted old two lane road 25 miles from the nearest town and my fireplace. It's got to be getting close to sunrise. Probably not much warmer than 40 degrees. Hell, I'm not sure. I am sure I'm in pain. I'm dripping wet with cold smelly ass river water mindlessly wandering down this God forsaken old road. Funny, that pain is exactly what caused me to climb into the car and drive off into the night in the first place. I decided that reading the letter would be too much for me to handle. It might bring back too much pain. Sure as hell couldn't have been any worse than this. Now I know that this is obviously some sign, no doubt a sick one, but a sign none the less that I must finish opening that envelope and find out what's inside. At least that what this frozen heart of mine is telling my numbass at the moment. I'm so cold. My bones ache. Man, shivering's the shits. Sure hope someone drives by soon before I passout........

8 Comments:

Blogger Leetie said...

I came across something in the book I was reading the other night that stopped me in my tracks. It said:

Hope,... which whispered from Pandora's box only after all the other plagues and sorrows had escaped, is the best and last of all things. Without it, there is only time.

cool, huh?

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As many of you know, I'm a huge Neil Gaiman and Sandman fan. Leetie's hope thing got me looking for this.

I believe it's from Sandman, Preludes & Nocturnes (1st graphic novel in the series, fantastic). Sandman (aka Morpheus, Dream King, etc.) goes to Hell to find the demon that has his helmet. Choronzon, the demon, challenges him to a duel for the helmet. The duel is not so much fighting as it is one-upmanship. Without the graphics, this is still pretty sweet. Needless to say, Morpheus gets his helmet back:

CHORONZON: I am a dire world, prey-stalking, lethal prowler.

MORPHEUS: I am a hunter, horse-mounted, wolf-stabbing.

CHORONZON: I am a horsefly, horse-stinging, hunter-throwing.

MORPHEUS: I am a spider, fly-consuming, eight legged.

CHORONZON: I am a snake, spider-devouring, posion-toothed.

MORPHEUS: I am an ox, snake-crushing, heavy footed.

CHORONZON: I am an anthrax, butcher, bacterium, warm-life destroying.

MORPHEUS: I am a world, space-floating, life nurturing.

CHORONZON: I am a nova, all-exploding... planet-cremating.

MORPHEUS: I am the Universe -- all things encompassing, all life embracing.

CHORONZON: I am Anti-Life, the Beast of Judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, gods, worlds... of everything. Sss. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?

MORPHEUS: I am hope.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Leetie said...

awesome, Brian!

8:19 AM  
Blogger MrFisher said...

*stops in tracks*

Very. Very. Very cool guys.

*picks up a little new found hope and puts it in my pocket*

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope Springs Eternal
...and it must...

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just realized that Choronozon's first line should begin, "I am a dire wolf", not world.

Fish,
In your current state of mind, I might highly suggest getting into the Sandman graphic novel series. They're about $20 apiece at bookstores, but you can probably borrow them from the library for free.
Preludes & Nocturnes is the first and really introduces the Sandman character well. Once I read that one, I was hopelessly addicted to the series and now own all of them plus some companion books written by Gaiman and others.

The order is as such:
Preludes & Nocturnes
The Doll House
Dream Country
Season of mists
A Game of You
Fables and Reflections
Brief Lives
The World's End
The Kindly Ones
The Wake

I'll look around for some other quotes. It's a fantastic series.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, I found WAYYY too many quotes to Bloat this blog with. So, here's a link to the best site I found.

There are so many great quotes here that I may have to go back and re-read the series again (for about the 4th time)....as soon as I'm done with Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors.

Sandman Quotes (some with pictures!):
http://www.scarymatt.com/sandmanquotes.htm

9:05 AM  
Blogger MrFisher said...

Twin Peaks!

You rock. Thanks.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home